We all talk about Boxing Day but not most of us know quite a lot about it. Well here are 5 fun facts about the 26th day of December otherwise known as Boxing Day.
1. Boxing Day is called boxing day because it was the day the family opened the box for the poor.
2. The Christmas Box was often made of clay or wood and was where people placed gifts.
3. During the age of exploration, a Christmas Box would be placed on a ship for good luck. A priest would often place it there, and crewmen would drop money in it to ensure a safe return. If the ship returned safely, the priest would take the box and distribute the contents to the poor.
4. Every church in England had an alms box which was where folks placed money for the poor. The box was opened on Dec. 26 and the contents were distributed to the poor of the parish.
5. The tradition still continues today. Many of us give small tokens to local workers. Kids also collect things in boxes to be given to the local poor.
What other names do we have for the day after Christmas? Check out the top facts here!
1. Boxing Day is celebrated all over the world, just to name a few countries that celebrate this day are: Australia, Austria, Canada, Germany, Greenland, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Norway, Romania, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
2. In South Africa, Boxing Day is known as ‘Day of Goodwill’.
3. In Ireland they call Boxing Day ‘St. Stevens Day’.
4. In other continental European countries, it is known as ‘Christmas II’ or ‘Second Christmas Day’.
5. Boxing Day traditions depend on the location, however it includes shopping, giving money and gifts to the less fortunate, and a day of watching sporting events like horse racing and football.
6. On Boxing Day 2004 a massive earthquake created a tsunami around the Indian Ocean resulting in the deaths of over 300,000 people.
7. In Australia, New Zealand, Canada and UK, Boxing Day is the heaviest shopping day of the year.
8. Boxing Day is one of the British bank holidays recognised since 1871.
9. Most Nigerians believe Boxing Day is a day dedicated to boxers.
10. On Boxing Day in the UK, the most popular online searches for shopping are sale items.
11. National Candy Cane Day is celebrated 26th December every year in the United States.
Culled from Nairaland