NBC just ordered radio stations to suspend the ban on Nigerian artistes.
They made some pronouncements on the COSON Vs BON/IBAN Controversy on Page 55 of The Guardian Newspaper for Thursday, January 9, 2013.
According to the pronouncements:
- BON & IBAN recognize that they are to pay artistes royalties, so they are obliged to keep adequate logs of all musical works broadcast by them and make sure they are made available upon request by relevant authorities
- All payments of musical copyright royalties shall be made to COSON
- A joint committee of NBC, NCC, COSON, BON/IBAN will be se up to review all royalty tariffs and ensure they are fair, reasonable and according to standards
- 90 days after the issuance of these pronouncements, the committee set up above will conclude its assignment and the tariff they agree on will be binding on all.
- To ensure a conducive atmosphere for this committee to do a good job, the ban on Nigerian artistes should be suspended.
- NBC will monitor compliance to the agreements reached as contained in these pronouncements.