A teenage boy, identified as Babatunde Abdulrahmon, has been killed in an industrial accident that occurred on his first day at work.
The 17-year-old boy was sucked into a mixing machine on the day he resumed work at a manufacturing company in Satellite Town, Lagos state.
According to Punch, Abdulrahmon went jobhunting at Mingyi Trading Company Limited and was instantly recruited by the manager, Uchenna Umeanna, who put him under a supervisor.
The supervisor, Abdulrahmon and other employees were working in the factory when power outage suddenly occurred.
One of the workers went to switch on the generator in order to continue production. Unfortunately, the mixing machine began working and sucked in Abdulrahmon, who was standing close to it.
Umeanna said the deceased sustained severe internal injuries and all efforts by doctors to save his life proved abortive.
In his words,
“It was an unfortunate incident. Abdulrahmon came looking for a job and I personally took him to the supervisor to teach him the job. After some hours, I suddenly heard screams and I rushed down to the factory,”
“When I got there, he was inside the mixer and we had to bring him out. What happened was that the supervisor was teaching him how to scrape the particles of the PVC material on the mixing machine. According to the supervisor, a power outage suddenly occurred and another worker switched on the generator, and Abdulrahmon, who was close to the mixing machine, was suddenly sucked into it. We quickly switched off the generator and pulled him out, but his legs were injured and when we rushed him to hospital, they said he had internal injuries and was bleeding,” he added.
Friends of the deceased have taken to Facebook to mourn his demise.