Newlywed Johannesburg couple, Zaheer Sarang and Nabeelah Khan were reportedly electrocuted to death on Sunday June 13th, a day after they returned home from their honeymoon.
It was gathered that the bride was electrocuted after touching a tap in the shower and her husband was electrocuted when he tried to help her.
Johannesburg police spokesperson Captain Mavela Masondo who confirmed the incident said the couple’s bodies were found in the shower on Sunday afternoon.
“It is suspected that the couple were electrocuted. Police are still waiting for the post-mortem results that will confirm the cause of death.”He said.
According to a community activist, Aziz Ally, power outages and illegal connections were a big problem in the area, noting that illegal connections were put up in “broad daylight”.
In his words,
“The problem is that there are many other residents from Homestead Park, Mayfair South that are also experiencing this shocking when they touch the taps at their house. It does seem to be a bigger problem in terms of what is going on.”
Friends and families has since taken to social media to mourn the couple. A Facebook user, Mehreen Mia Cassimjee wrote,
“I am. Shocked.. Devastated.. Just recvd the news of the passing of both our Br Zaheer Sarang and his wife Nabeelah as well (married two weeks ago 💔😭)
Allah grant the Marhoomeen Jannatul Firdaus inshaaAllah and strength to all at this difficult time
🤲🤲🤲🤲🤲🤲 This is truly tragic and a huge loss 💔😭💔😭💔😭”.