Korty, a popular YouTuber in Nigeria recently claimed that nobody paved the way for her to become the influential YouTube personality that she is today.
This statement sparked reactions amongst fellow YouTubers and fans who consume content on the platform. While some supported her, others disagreed, stating that those who came before her made it easy for her to have the platform. Popular travel and lifestyle YouTuber, Tayo Aina responded thus:
Inspired by this conversation, we went to check who the top 10 YouTubers in Nigeria are – based on popularity, views, subscribers, influence, etc., and these are our findings.
PS: This list does not include musicians, traditional celebrities and Instagram-First Comedians/Skit-Makers. Those ones are not YouTubers in this context, as their popularity and reckon is not based on YouTube. They are in a league of their own.
- MarkAngel Comedy: With over 2 billion cumulative views and 8.43M subscribers, MarkAngel Comedy is the most popular Youtuber in Nigeria and number 2 in Africa behind only Oum Walid.
- Sam Spedy: With over 2.6 million subscribers and over 860 million views, Sam Spedy is one of the most popular Youtubers from Nigeria.
- SisiYemmieTV: SisiYemmie teaches her audience how to cook with a sprinkle of Lifestyle Content as a Nigerian YouTuber. Her 811K subscribers makes her number 3 on our list. She has garnered over 83 million views on her page.
- Zeelicious Foods: Winifred Nwania aka Zeelicious teaches her audience how to make mouth-watering, healthy and delicious recipes in a snap. With 744k subs and 39 million, she definitely has her fans cooking
- Adeola Fayehun: Adeola is a political satirist, popular for flavoring news and current events with a lot of spice, and making them hilarious. She has 618k subscribers and over 96 million views.
- Dimma Umeh: Dimma Umeh is a beauty and lifestyle YouTuber. Her 453K subscribers puts her in the top 5 of our list. The fashion and lifestyle influencer has garnered over 34 million views on her page.
- Tayo Aina: a Travel & Lifestyle YouTuber and one of the most popular Youtubers in the country right now. Tayo Aina’s journey to rediscover Africa has captivated a lot of people on social media, and with a whooping 437K subscribers, the travel and lifestyle youtuber has garnered an impressive 40 million views on his page.
- Fisayo Fosudo: One of Nigeria’s top tech Youtubers, Fisayo Fosudo discusses everything tech, design and finance on his Youtube channel. With 319K subscribers, he has garnered over 20 million views on Youtube.
- Eric Knewkeed Okafor: Eric a.k.a Knewkeed is devoted to bringing reviews of the latest Smartphones and other consumer tech for the African market. He has 260k subs and over 80 million views on Youtube
- Korty EO: You probably heard of Korty from the Wizkid video she tried to do or the subsequent fallout with Wizkid’s fans on social media or from her video hanging out with Rema or one of her Gen Z adventures. Korty’s 198K subscribers enjoy watching her do whatever she wants and her 7 million views is an affirmation that they enjoy whatever she’s doing.
Nigeria’s population is one of the youngest in the world. With a median age of 18.1 years and half of the population under 19 years old, this is the beginning for YouTubers in the country and whoever can carve a niche for themselves will grow the most.
One major niche up for grabs is the “Kids Content Category” which is currently dominated by large corporations. However, if Baby Shark can tap Cardi for new content, I don’t see why local content creators cannot take over the space.
Written by Chidi Okereke, @Chydee